Two of my favorite ingredients always get a bad rap, but if done correctly they both can be so GOOD! Kale and tofu are the ones I am talking about. Tofu is such a great protein alternative, it is a sponge for flavors. With kale, people assume from its texture that it won’t be enjoyable. The catch is, that you have to massage it. It can be the same texture as iceberg or arugula if it is massaged with something like sea salt and lemon juice.
BBQ Tofu Steaks With Avocado Kale Salad
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce (or ketchup works, too)
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire (optional)
- 1 tbsp Mustard (prepared, not dry mustard)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 pkg Firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 head Kale
- 1 ripe Avocado, diced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, except the tofu, well and set aside
- Remove tofu from packaging and place on a plate with paper towels to absorb excess moisture
- Dice the block of tofu in half, and then intro strips for the “steaks”
- Cover in the BBQ sauce and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Bring your grill to medium high heat and place steaks on hot grill.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until sauce begins to caramelize.
- Wash and remove stems from kale.
- Chop into fine slices and massage oil into the kale with hands.
- Add in the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Dice up the avocado and toss into salad.
Leave a Comment